The Hoover Historical Society offers an educational scholarship for $1,000 paid to an accredited two-or four-year college or university for tuition or other expenses. This onetime scholarship furthers our mission of promoting an increased awareness and knowledge of history.
- This collegiate scholarship is awarded to a deserving student at each of the two high schools in Hoover, AL—Hoover High School and Spain Park High School
- Letter describing the scholarship and application is sent to the College Guidance Counselors and Social Studies departments of both HHS and SPHS.
- The manner of selection involves screening by the Social Studies departments at each school, submitted to the guidance counselors, and forwarded to the Hoover Historical Society Scholarship Committee. This committee selects the finalist for each school.
- CRITERIA for selection:
- Academic performance;
- community service; e.g., involvement in organizations & activities;
- and a typed, double-spaced 1,000-word essay using topics ‘prompts’ on the application.
- The essay should include a title or topic; good grammar and spelling; and a citation of sources.
Application must be submitted to the student’s Counselor’s office by March 23, 2017.
The HHS Scholarship Committee meets in April to select a recipient of the Vadie Honea Scholarship Award for 2017.
Winners and counselors will be notified of the winner within one week.
For more information and to see a list of past recipients, visit the Vadie Honea Scholarship page.