Parking adjacent to Folklore Center.
(The home and Folklore Center are behind Bluff Park Elementary school, Park Avenue; look for the sign for Folklore Center)
Welcome to Shangri-La!!
- The home was built in 1909-10 and was originally a 2-story farmhouse with double porches.
- The home was the crown jewel of the Hale family, a home built in the Hale Springs resort area among the peach orchards.
- The home was constructed from wood that came from the sawmill of the Hale Lumber Company which William and Evan owned.
- Over the last 100 years, 13 different families have lived in the home. A family renovated the house in the 1950's and took down the porches adding the stately white columns.
- Other owners of the home include a member of the Hoover Historical Society and Alabama Governor George Wallace's daughter Bobbie Jo Wallace-Parsons.
- Bobbie Jo Wallace and her husband Jim owned the home till they sold it to Carlo and Dianne Joseph in 1993.
- It was placed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in 1994.